Thursday 12 April 2012

Photog: Alf Alive

Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
A fellow cosplayer himself, Alf shared his journey as a cosplay photographer.

 Photoshoot Data:
Shoot cosplay : Doesn't matter.
Preference in shooting : Doesn't matter.
Setting preference : Doesn't matter.
Time : Doesn't matter.

How long have you been shooting cosplay?
I began my photography journey since 2006 on a local cosplay event in Jakarta. Back then, I just do a simple photo with my Pocket Cam. Finally in the middle of 2009 I got my very first DSLR Camera, and I started to do cosplay Photography more seriously.



How is cosplay photography different from other photography?
To me, cosplay photography is complex yet at the same time unique, where within a piece the emphasis in make-up, landscape and costume are factors within the variety of elements in photography (beauty, landscape, fashion, etc).  The depth within a photo in cosplay photography reveals the character(s)/theme(s) of the cosplay where they all each contain their own unique stories.


What motivates/demotivates you from cosplay photography?
I entered the cosplay world as a cosplayer, and during my time in being one and seeing the cosplays done by my fellow cosplayer friends, I feel that it would be a shame if their efforts were limited to be enjoyed only in events. I feel that they deserve more appreciation, and I see cosplay photography as the answer. With cosplay photography, we can maximize the conveying of the characters until they truly express the characters we cosplay by adjusting the background with themes and creating re-enactments that follow those themes. The world must know that cosplay is not something to be underestimated, because within it is rich potential.

Do share with us what camera other gadgets you usually work with. 
I'm using a Canon EOS 450D. Lenses include: Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II. For Lighting i use 2 Yongnuo Flash Speedlite Yn-460ii. These gears were one of the most standar and cheapest set in photography, but I believe that these equipments are enough to produce a good result.

You can see my gallery on Deviant Art, http://alivealf.deviantart.com/ but I usually upload most of the photo result on my Facebook account,



Do you mind sharing the editing software you usually use?
I usually use Adobe Lightroom 3.5 for editing the overall Tone, and finally finish it on Adobe Photoshop CS3.

Most memorable shoot and why?
The most memorable shoot for me was my very first Durarara shoot with Sola (solatomato.deviantart.com) as Shizuo and Kika (http://ki-ri-ka.deviantart.com/) as Izaya. It began when suddenly heavy rain appeared when we were still preparing to go to the location. At first we thought it was going to be a failed session because we didn’t prepared for this kind of situation. But miracle happened, suddenly the rain stopped and for the very first time, we saw the most beautiful sky ever in Jakarta! It was a golden sky and there were even a-double rainbow! As a matter of fact the location became even more epic than it was before!

No comments:

Post a Comment